Gulf Shores Alabama Information
Gulf Shores Alabama Information – Gulf Shores is a small but growing community in Alabama with an interesting history and inviting features.
The wonderful, white sandy beaches and the beautiful coastline of the Alabama beaches attract visitors from all over the world. Gulf Shores community is an ideal location for families and individuals looking to enjoy the relaxing coastline of Alabama.
Listed below are some interesting facts regarding the residents of Gulf Shores, Alabama:
- 5,044 people
- 2,344 households
- 1,544 families residing in the city of Gulf Shores.
- 20.7% of residents had children younger than 18 living with them,
- 56.2% of residents are married couples living together
- 7.0% of residents are single females
- 34.1% of of homes had mixed residents that are not family.
- 26.7% of all households were made up of individuals
- 10.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older.
- 16.4% of the population was under the age of 18
- 6.7% from 18 to 24,
- 24.8% from 25 to 44,
- 29.0% from 45 to 64
- 23.1% who were 65 and older.
- The average age was 46 years.
- For every 100 females there were 97.3 males.
- For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.5 males.
Gulf Shores is considered a part of the Baldwin County Public Schools zone. The elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, and community colleges in Baldwin County are listed below:
- Gulf Shores Middle School (grades 7-8)
- Gulf Shores Elementary School (grades K-6)
- Faulkner State Community College
- Gulf Shores High School (grades 9-12)
Gulf Shores History
- The Gulf Shores region was first established by the Creeks, the Seminole Indians and the Alibamas.
- It’s well known that pirates often visited the Gulf Coast in search of treasure for more than 138 years.
- Is the home of the Mobile Bay which occurred on August 5, 1864.
- Lake Shelby is the largest freshwater body of water
- In 1956, the recorded population of Gulf Shores was 120.
- The Navy at Pensacola used what was then known as Goat island during World War II for target practice.
- Some of the Indian mounds located in Baldwin County have been noted by some archaeologists to date back further than the pyramids in Egypt.
- Bay Minette was given its name in honor of a French surveyor by the name of M. Minette.
- Alabama’s first lighthouse and was built on Mobile Point in 1822.
- Navy Cove on Ft. Morgan got its name because Navy ships were sent out to aid against pirates all kept their ships in the cove
- Pilot Town was given its name because many residents were the pilots who guided ships up the Mobile Bay channel to the Port of Mobile,
When you’re in Gulf Shores be sure to stop by the Gulf Shores Museum to gain more knowledge on the history of this cozy town. This is a wonderful town that visitors from all walks of life will enjoy.
Gulf Shores Alabama Information provided by the Jason Will Real Estate Team 251-866-6464.